5 Best Offset Smokers Reviews for The Money
In a Rush? Our Recommendation!
We have chosen the Camp Chef SmokePro DLX Wood Pellet Outdoor BBQ Grill and Smoker due to its size that is enough to cook for a small group of people, as well as its overall rating, and its affordable price.
In this post, we will be helping you make an informed buying decision when choosing the best offset smoker.
Having an offset smoker would be a great option for you if you like cooking great quality and traditionally-tasting barbecue. It not only produces mouth-watering food but it also looks very cool, making you feel like a real pitmaster. While you can find more advanced barbecue equipment on the market now, still, nothing can quite compare to the traditional offset charcoal smoker.
We have rounded up 5 of our top recommendations, as well as a description of their best features, pros, and cons. We also have a rundown of the most important factors that you need to consider when choosing a good offset smoker. To give you an overview, here’s what you can expect from this review:
Comparison Table (sorted by our rating)
Camp Chef SmokePro DLX 24
41.5 x 25.5 x 22.5 inches
4.9 out of 5
Pit Barrel Cooker
21 x 21 x 31.1 inches
4.8 out of 5
Oklahoma Joe’s Offset Smoker
35.5 x 64.2 x 55.5 inches
Charcoal – Drum
4.0 out of 5
Dyna Glo Smoker
20.2 x 34.5 x 47 inches
Propane – Vertical
3.9 out of 5
Char-Griller Charcoal Grill
21.7 x 18.9 x 31.9 inches
3.8 out of 5
Top 5 Picks for The Best Offset Smokers
#1 (Editor's Choice)
Camp Chef SmokePro DLX Wood Pellet Outdoor BBQ Grill and Smoker
The Camp Chef offset smoker features a smart digital temperature control system that ranges from 160F degrees to 500F degrees, as well as automatic auger feed wood pellets. These are both great features that ensure that even heat can be maintained while providing you with overall great smoking and grilling experience.
This wood pellet grill is also highly versatile, as you can grill, barbecue, smoke, and roast, all come with a high-quality wood-fired taste. It is very easy to assemble, use, and clean, as you only need to pull a lever. Truly, this is one of the best offset smokers for the money that makes a great addition to your backyard.
- Features a reliable, durable, and robust design
- Equipped with a smart digital control temperature system
- Features power failure restart
- Plenty of accessories are available
- Easy to assemble, use, and clean
- The temperature gauge may be challenging to operate
- May accumulate a lot of ash
#2 Pit Barrel Cooker Classic Pit Barrel Cooker Package
The Classic Pit Barrel Cooker Package would not seem like a regular offset smoker but the fact that it enables you to heat your food away from your cooking area qualifies it as one. This unique and spacious vertical offset smoker uses 8 stainless steel hooks that allow you to hang the food while you cook it rather than using the traditional grate approach. Surely, it gives you a lot more space to cook.
What makes the Pit Barrel Cooker one of the best offset smokers for the money is that it is intelligently constructed of 18-gauge stainless steel and porcelain enamel, making it very durable. In addition, this offset smoker goes the extra mile because it allows fat juices to drip off, thereby enhancing the smoky flavors of the food. It is also very easy to assemble and operate. Lastly, the package already includes 2 hanging rods, a standard grill grate, hook remover tool, and the charcoal basket.
- Can hold steady temperatures
- Easy to install and use
- Comes with a complete package
- Uses the hook and hang approach
- Does not come with an ash pan
- Might be challenging to control the temperature
#3 Oklahoma Joe's Longhorn Reverse Flow Smoker
This Oklahoma Joe offset smoker offers one of the widest cooking areas on this review. It is constructed with sturdy, heavy-gauge stainless steel, and porcelain enameled coating, making it highly durable and resistant to rust. This product is specifically constructed for use on very large events, due to its spacious cooking area. In fact, you can cook up to 30 hamburgers in just one turn. To add, its grill grates produces incredible grill marks on your meat, making it very attractive.
The Oklahoma Joe offset smoker is sitting at the bottom of a barrel that comes with 4 baffles, which helps you cook your food evenly. It also is equipped with 4 adjustable grill grates that you can use for precise food placement. What makes this smoker one of the best is that it features multiple dampers for better control of heat and smoke.
- Comes with 4 adjustable grill grates
- Easy to assemble and clean
- Provides heat and smoke control
- Equipped with wheels for mobility
- The most expensive smoker on this review
- Paint may peel off over time
#4 Dyna Glo DGO1176BDC-D Charcoal Offset Smoker
Compared to the Oklahoma Joe offset smoker, the Dyna Glo charcoal offset smoker offers a much smaller cooking surface area. If size is not a concern for you, you might find it remarkable that it features heavy-duty cast iron burner and a reliable and quick electronic ignition system. It has a 784-square inch cooking surface area and can cook up to 100 lbs. of food at a time.
The Dyna Glo DGO1176BDC-D offset smoker comes in a high-temperature powder-coated finish, which ensures durability and longevity. What made us consider this one of the best offset smokers is that it has a dual door design, which effectively minimizes heat loss when you are cooking. However, it should be noted that the cover for this smoker is sold separately.
- Durable and heavy-duty
- Comes with adjustable cooking grates
- Equipped with an electronic ignition system
- Delivers better heat control
- Easy to clean and assemble
- Might produce heavy smoke
- Might require your constant supervision
- The cover is sold separately
#5 Char-Griller 1224 Smokin Pro Charcoal Grill with Side Fire Box
If you are looking for a traditional offset smoker, then you might want to consider buying the Char-Griller 1224 charcoal grill and smoker. It has a heavy-duty powder-coated steel construction and is equipped with heavy-duty cast iron griller grates. In addition, it also comes with an easy-to-remove ash drawer, as well as a double-bottom that adds extra durability.
This offset smoker offered by Char-Griller has a 580-square inch cooking surface area and a 250-square inch side firebox.
Overall, it provides you up to 830 square inches of smoking and grilling space. Other great features include the temperature gauge, storage rack, and 2 wheels for easy transport and mobility.
- Easy to transport and clean
- Comes with a removable ash drawer
- Gives you 830 square inches of cooking area
- Equipped with a temperature gauge and storage rack
- Might be prone to rust
- Paint peels off easily
Essential Factors to Consider When Choosing the Best Offset Smokers
- Size: Offset smokers come in all sizes and shapes; therefore, in choosing a great one, you first should determine how much space you would need for cooking. If you are planning on cooking for a small group of people, then a small smoker would be sufficient. Storage space could also be another concern, so if you do not have a lot of space to store your offset smoker, then you should buy a smaller one.
- Construction: An offset smoker’s construction is also a major consideration. Make sure that it is made of high-quality materials, which not only get the job done but also keeps the heat evenly distributed. A great offset smoker should have been made of thick metal that would be enough to keep the heat inside the smoker. To add, there should also be proper ventilation that will allow the smoke to flow just right.
- Portability: A great offset smoker should be portable, having the ability to be moved around with ease. While the storage option is already considered a premium for many homeowners, portability has also been proven to be a very important consideration. When choosing the best offset smoker, choose one that comes with wheels for mobility.
- Ease of maintenance: Cleanup of the charcoal grill can be a real pain. In fact, it is considered as one of the downsides of having an offset smoker. When choosing the best one on the market, you should also consider how easy and convenient is it to maintain and clean. Most of the smokers presented on this review uses a removable catch pan that allows you to dispose of the ashes with ease.
- Budget: Your budget is always a major consideration when choosing suitable offset smoker. Luckily, offset smokers are relatively more affordable than its more innovative and advanced counterparts. In fact, the products presented on this review would never require you to spend more than $1,000. You just have to remember to look into the model’s best features to be able to determine which one gives you a great bang for your buck.
Choosing the best offset smoker can be such a challenging task, especially if you come across so many great brands that offer varying features and functionalities. Lucky for you, we have provided you with the essentials factors that you should consider when looking for a great one. And using this information, we have chosen the Camp Chef SmokePro DLX Wood Pellet Outdoor BBQ Grill and Smoker due to its size that is enough to cook for a small group of people, as well as its overall rating, and its affordable price.